Sunday, November 16, 2014

Why I'm Adopting A Vegan Diet for all of 2015 (all the while remaining a competitive athlete working toward gaining muscle mass)

It actually started in 2012 when I decided to try clean eating for the first time.  Up until then, I was your classic, misinformed American twenty-something.  History of yo-yo dieting, only eating diet foods and low fat options, blah blah blah.  We all know the story.

Over the course of the past few years I have taught myself to cook, adopted an entire clean eating life-style, and have gotten more into the notion of micro-nutrient profiles instead of just basic macros.

But recently, with the progression of my back injury healing, I have taken up 2-a-day workouts again, and have decided I am ready to dedicate the next 6 weeks to dialing in exactly what I am feeding my body, how I am training it, and trying to engineer my outcomes.

On my birthday, I bought a Vitamix.  I thought it would be a fun and healthy toy to motivate me to push forth; blaze new trails, reinvigorate the process, etc.

Well, it did,  And then some...

I got into sourcing my produce from Farmer's Markets.  I had elected to take a month off of volleyball training to focus on my gym sessions and cautiously monitor my back.  This freed up my weekends, and I found a great joy in picking up fresh product from farmers, and then going home and blending it into a meal right away.  And this meal became an art and a hobby for me; I realized that produce that normally gave me digestive issues (either by type or quantity) no longer did when I ingested them in smoothie form.  I assume its because the produce is being broken down into its most bio-available source requiring minimal enzyme processes in the digestive tract, but I am no expert so who knows. I also transitioned from shopping mostly from Trader Joe's, to exclusively from Whole Foods, purposefully selecting only organic, non-GMO products. It was for fun, but it also felt right; I felt like I was doing something lovely for my body, and respecting it.

But then I went further.  After successfully completing a 1-month stint of incorporating green protein smoothies into my diet, I began to wonder if I could take this another step further.  Could I replace dinner with a smoothie too?  If I used homemade almond milk with my cereal in the morning and ensured my snacks were plant-based (vegan) and supplied necessary macros like fat and carbs in the right quantities, could I go full-time vegan?  What if I bought a juicer to supplement my afternoon snack with a shot of more produce?

So I began the easiest, most accessible research I could start with:  Documentaries on Netflix.  Netflix has a vast library of nutritional documentaries on hand.  I watched The Gerson Miracle; Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead; Food Inc.; Hungry for Change; Forks Over Knives; and Crazy Sexy Cancer (Vegucated and Chew On This TED Talks are next on my viewing list).  What I began to realize is that this is something I believe in, and exactly what I've been looking for for over 7 years.  Something I could inspire myself with -- an art, a hobby, and a means to help achieve the physique and health I want -- all the while expanding my knowledge and creating a new career option for myself.

So I've decided to make an experiment of myself, much like countless others before me. I intend to go to the Library later this week and rent The China Study and any other materials I can get my hands on, and I signed up for information on beginning my studies to get my certification from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition.  From what I have thus far researched, it may be possible that with specific practices and enzyme supplements, I might be able to bypass (and perhaps "cure"?) my digestive issues with certain vegetables.  It will take a lot of careful research to determine exactly how to get all the proper macros I need considering as I want to be building lean muscle mass while I do this, and I will need to spend a lot of time tooling and re-tooling menus so that I am never left wondering what to do.  The goal is simple:  a whole foods, plant-based diet.  No crap "vegan food" with soy fillers and other junk.  Whole foods.  Plant-based.  Plain and simple -- the amino profiles for protein are easy to develop by educating oneself and combining plant-based sources.

I will be dedicating the balance of this year preparing for this ultimate New Years Resolution, and I will be purchasing a Omega Juicer for myself for Christmas :)  And I have decided that I will allow myself every right to opt out if I find I need to stop to figure out a better plan of attack given what I learn, or if I struggle too immensely with addressing and combating digestive complications.  But one thing is decided:  I will 100% be dedicating at LEAST 30 days to this diet.  Thus, I will have the first month's menu and battle plan figured out, and then I will repeat it in February if all goes well, while developing the following month's diets.

So, allow this to be the first of many posts on this new journey -- the struggles, the changes, the recipes, and the challenges of trying to develop a physique on a whole foods plants-based diet.  I will be seeing my doctor to have a full blood panel done, as well as other tests to establish a base-line.  And then I will test myself again after 30 days, 90 days, 180 days, and 360 days.  I have no real underlying health issues from which to measure progress, but I trust the stats will improve regardless, and in conjunction with reporting on other mechanics like body fat %, lean muscle mass %, sleep quality, strength, and other things..... I think it will be able to paint a picture of what these documentaries are trying to convey.

So... 45 days to plan, 365 days to execute.  Here. We. Go. :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment